Friday, May 12, 2006

Plain Jane





Thought I'd introduce you all to my spinning wheel today. Obviously, she is very important to the whole process. I spun exclusively with spindles for a year before taking the plunge and buying a wheel. Most of my spindles were purchased because I'd read favorable reviews of said spindle, and the price fit my budget. So when I decided that I was ready to spend on a wheel, I tried to research the best value. I was all set to purchase a PVC wheel, very useful little wheels by many accounts.
Luckily, LD convinced me that I really wouldn't be happy with anything but a wooden wheel. So, research began anew for the best value for a wheel that would be suitable for a solo beginner,
as I don't know any other spinners, and am not one to ask for help (too stubborn!). I decided that I definitely wanted an upright wheel, but was open to a couple different manufacturers. Louet was an early favorite, an Ashford Joy is a 'someday goal', but I ultimately settled on an Ashford Kiwi. I think the advertisement stating 'perfect for student/beginner that had me hooked.
She took less than a half hour to put together, and while she may have been a bit plain at first, a coat of stain and some stenciling, and I think she is just gorgeous! Couldn't be more pleased. I was thrilled to own a spinning wheel before, and now I am proud of my wheel as well.

2 comments:

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I'm interested in your favorable review of the Kiwi. It is on my list of possibles and the price is just so right. I am just getting into spinning after 20+ years of knitting. I have started drop spindling some pretty rough looking yarn, but I am intrigued enough to keep at it. I'm taking a spinning class in August. I can't wait.

Hannah said...

Looks beautiful!