Friday, June 30, 2006

socks and a sample hooking

I love knitting sock, and I love knitting children's socks even more- small feet= quickly finished. But the thing I love the most is knowing that the socks I'm knitting will be slipped on little feet that really need them. Children in Common is a wonderful group that gathers 100% wool socks (and sometimes sweaters and things) and sends them to a Russian orphanage. I've made a commitment (to myself, the group certainly doesn't require a commitment) to make one (or two) pairs for CIC in between every pair of socks that I knit for a friend or family member. I finished a pair for Dad for Father's Day (forgot to take a picture before gifting them!) then got busy on these:






The smaller sock is a pattern that is available on the CIC website (basketweave pattern). I didn't use a published pattern for the other pair, just cast on the appropriate number of stitches (divisible by 4) and did a basic broken rib pattern for the leg/top of foot. Odd rows: knit 3, purl 1 Even rows: Knit around.

The other thing that I've (almost) gotten finished is my sample rug hooking. Again, made with my handspun, I thought the colors would be perfect for a fall leaf, but needed to 'try it out' before embarking on a whole big ass rug, so there you go! Turned out rather nice, and helped me figure out what I do and do not want to do on my full size rug. The background will definitely be a solid color on the rug, I don't like how the variegation compete with the leaf on the sample. Once I've bound the edges of this sample piece, I'll probably sew it onto a tote bag. Any other ideas out there?

No comments: