Monday, July 10, 2006

Snow Blind!

Ugh! I thought that the challenge of spinning 1600 yards of yarn would be the yardage, but the real challenge is spinning white. White, white, white. Blech. Boring.
But the happy news is that I am up to a total of 688 yards, with only 912 to go. I can do it - I think! to break up the boredom of white white white yarn, in lieu of posting more pics of white yarn, I'll share some pics of my last 'dye day'.
I used a 'low water immersion' method, 4 large canning jars in a pot, squish the jars full of roving, pour the dye in, add enough water/mordant mix to come to the top of the jar. Insert a spoon handle and smoosh roving around to ensure that the color reaches all of the roving. Add water to the pot about halfway up the outside of the jars and simmer about 45 minutes until the dye is struck (water in the jar is clear). This is a fun and easy way to get nicely variegated yarn, but there is NO control over the color. Someday, after this Tour de Fleece is over, I'll happily post pictures of the yarn spun from these batts. ...and what will I make with the yarn? Well, socks of course!















Silkworm update: cats are doing well. Growing, but not a whole lot different. I'll post some pics of them on Wednesday, their 1 week birthday.

No comments: